Thank you for your interest in joining our dynamic team!
IPPL Sanctuary, Summerville, SC
Our sanctuary is home to white-handed gibbons (Hylobates lar) and Asian small-clawed otters (Aonyx cinereus). Caregivers work as part of a small daily team (3-5 staff) to care for both the animals and sanctuary facilities and grounds. Work consists primarily of cleaning indoor and outdoor enclosures, preparing and delivering diets, and upkeep of enclosures, facilities, and sanctuary grounds. Successful applicants will have professional experience in animal care, excellent situational awareness, a strong work ethic, and the ability to work for hours in all types of weather, including extreme heat. This position is non-exempt/hourly, and will include early evenings, weekends, and holidays. Full and part-time positions are available.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Cleaning and maintaining enclosures
- Collecting husbandry data and entering it into records
- Assisting with upkeep of sanctuary facilities and grounds
- Learning the personalities, behaviors, and history of each animal
- Monitoring the physical and emotional well-being of resident animals
- Preparing and serving diets
- Preparing and delivering enrichment
- Participating in sanctuary functions and representing the animal care team positively to board members, donors, members, volunteers, and guests
- High School Diploma; related college education preferred
- At least one (1) year of experience with professional animal caregiving
- Valid driver's license with a clean driving record
- Previous experience with exotics and animal training preferred
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of animal care standards and methods of care
- Exceptional situational awareness while working around animals
- Capable of following all safety procedures, facility protocols, and verbal and written instructions
- Strong work ethic with an ability to maintain focus while working independently
- Strong communication and time-management skills
- Ability to lift and carry materials weighing up to 50 pounds without assistance, with occasional lifting of more than 50 pounds with assistance.
- Ability to climb and work from a 15' ladder, occasionally having to go higher than 15 feet.
- Basic familiarity with office software
- Professional presentation and attitude
Expected Work Conditions
- Work is performed both indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions, on concrete floors and other hard surfaces, and may be performed in closed or cramped spaces.
- Will be exposed to dust and unpleasant odors and noises from animals, cleaning solutions, paint, and other chemicals.
- Extended periods of standing, walking, bending, and stooping.
- Working in semi-protected contact with gibbons and free contact with otters
- Must receive scheduled immunizations and have a current TB test
How to apply: Please send a resume/CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org